Monday, February 14, 2011

Sweaty, Satisfied and Sleep Deprived at 7 am

When I was in college (circa 1998) I was on the mountain bike team. (and I kicked ass for the record.) The hard core guys that I rode with trained for a 24 hour ride in Moab every year. I thought that they were insane to train let alone compete in a 24 hour big ride on nobby tires and rollers in the dark.

Then I had a baby.

Lena has been up sick for 3 nights now. That translates to 2-6 hour shifts on the couch sleeping upright with her so she can breathe. Sometimes when we rotate, I think that I've slept really well with her. I know that's probably not true because it's just not possible to sleep well with your neck, shoulder and arm muscles holding 14 pounds firm.

=sleep deprivation

Yesterday kicked our butts though. We had some stressful stuff going on and a sick baby. So I called yesterday a rest day from working out. That means time to hit it hard today. I made Ryan stay home a couple of minutes this morning so I could shower. For those of you not in the know, you don't want to know how many days it had been. Before I showered, I gambled with the baby and put her in the crib. She hasn't lasted more than 20 minutes since Friday night.

Down she is! I am showered (even washed my hair) & Ryan is out the door. Nap? Laundry? Work out?

Work out!

Today is Day 1 of the 20 minute work out. My sweat happy Nicole would be happy to know that the 20 minute work out when I'm dehydrated and sleep deprived resulted in a sweaty work out. And a satisfied one. I will feel this week since it adds in weights.

I think next time someone trains for a 24 hour mountain bike race, they should stay up with a baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment